Thursday, January 22, 2015

Day One & My Most Ridiculous Fear I Had About the Classroom

            So yesterday was my first official day in the classroom with the children. It was hectic, challenging, tiring, and incredibly fun. It is amazing to me how four hours feels like an eternity at my retail job but was over in the blink of an eye here. The children have an incredible range of personalities which will be really fun to see unfold throughout the semester as they grow and interact. The most embarrassing thing that happened was me having to quietly ask another one of the apprentice teachers the name of the child who asked me to write his name on his drawing so I will consider that an epic success.

            There are a lot of fears you would expect teachers to have starting out – maybe the children won’t like me, maybe the children will get hurt, maybe the children will mutiny, maybe there will be an issue with a parent, or maybe a massive comet will collide with the earth while these children are in my care (hey, it could happen). But today I’m talking about the obvious, rational fears. I want to talk about my silliest fear that while small lingered on my mind as much as, and maybe more, than the more logical, common fears.

            One of my biggest anxieties was about singing in front of the kids and the other teachers. You done laughing yet? I’ll wait. I know realistically 2 and 3 year olds probably don’t care – although at that age the honesty is also pretty brutal. And I’m sure as long as I’m not dropping f-bombs or referencing sexual encounters I’m sure my fellow teachers don’t care either. As long as glass isn’t shattering and the children’s ears aren’t bleeding everyone should be happy. Yet still it makes me nervous. I started going to church again at the beginning of last semester and just know feel mostly comfortable singing in church. Softly.

This is actually still exponentially better than the reaction I image in my mind.

            I was prepared to face this ridiculous fear eventually. Like halfway through the semester when it was required. But I surprised myself and volunteered to sing the kids “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” while they were playing in the toy boat outside – and they liked it! I didn’t have to write an injury reports for broken eardrums and no children ran away, dare I say they even enjoyed it and I did too.  The whole thing is a big reassurance to me that the anxieties will fade and the enjoyment will flourish.

            I have to also say I am so, so grateful for my fellow apprentice teacher. She has more experience than me, both in general and with these children, and was a godsend to me yesterday. When the first child who arrived broke a glass container for crayons she immediately said it was okay and took care of it, which seems minor but it really set the tone that things will happen and we don’t worry, we move on and keep going with the day. Many times during the day when I felt anxious, like when the child in my lap burst into tears because she didn’t get to hold the felt duck, I would look to her and she would just give me a reassuring smile and shake her head to say “its no big deal”. Both her and our lead teacher gently reminded me on what I should be doing and it really was a good experience, I do feel really supported and comfortable with these people.


            Which is really nice because I already have to write a language and literacy activity plan to do with the children in the coming week. I also took over a friend’s afternoon shift two days a week so now I will be getting to know a new, older group of children that I will have to do weekly activity plans with. Remember what I said about taking on tasks feeling invincible and then getting anxious later? I did it again. I’m getting somewhat anxious now but already feeling more confident than I was a week ago so I’m getting excited. I’ll update on that experience tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment