Sunday, January 11, 2015

Beginnings - Why I'm Not a Fan

            The logical thing to do would be to open with an intro post, but that isn’t really what is inspiring me to write and since one of my reasons for doing this is to get back into writing, I’m going to write about what strikes me right now. So for now I will give a brief intro and then get right down to the nitty gritty. I have an associate’s degree, a bachelor’s degree, yet I felt unsatisfied with my job options and went back to community college to pursue early childhood education. I’m currently enrolled in my second semester, I have 15 ECE units and a semester of service learning under my belt. This semester I’m taking on another 15 units and have an apprentice teaching position at the Child Development Center on campus. For the sake on confidentiality I won’t be using my name, my school name, or any names of children, parents, or other teachers on this blog. Any names I do use for the sake of clarity in writing are pseudonyms. So far we have had one week of training modules, next week we are doing classroom setup, and the week after school starts so we will have children in our classrooms. I’m going to be working in a toddler room that has children between age 2 and 3.

            Don’t get me wrong, I am really excited to have a new job, new skills, and to take a step forward. But I hate beginnings. I hate being new at things and I hate making mistakes. I’m sure nobody likes these things, but I really don’t. I’ve been working in retail since 2008 and many times not been happy. Hours are not given generously, schedules are constantly changing, management changes a lot and there is generally just a lot of irritation involved. Sometimes I’ve got frustrated and tried to change jobs, a couple times I even had some options, yet every time I stay because I haven’t wanted to start over. As annoying as my job is I know it well, I do it quickly and accurately, and everybody knows it. I’m seen as an expert, given responsibility, and overall trusted. In the end despite the irritations my desire to not want to start over has won out and I’ve stayed.

            Ever since I was young in school my teachers would praise my academic abilities. Even when I had behavioral issues in elementary school my teachers would still comment that I was ahead and intelligent. This continued into middle and high school. One day in 8th grade English we were discussing a poem and the teacher asked me a question about the poem – apparently this poem was satire and I hadn’t picked up on that so I answered the question wrong. I remember my teacher sighing in exasperation and saying, “If you don’t understand this, nobody will.” Throughout the rest of my academic career my teachers acted like me doing well was expected and when I messed up it always seemed to be a bigger deal than when other students did. Part of this was nice – after all, who doesn’t enjoy praise? But the strong negative reactions to my mistakes or misunderstandings impacted me even more than the praise. I feel a lot of pressure to get close to perfection and because of this being new at something terrifies me. If I don’t understand something or mess up my confidence is immediately shot. Because of this until I feel I can do something at least close to perfect I often won’t try. At work I went from not saying much to take the lead in one day because I finally felt I had quietly observed enough to know what I was doing. There is very little middle ground for me, if I’m unsure I will keep quietly watching and not give much indication that I’m even considering trying something.

            Yet here I am, about to start doing something new. Why do this to myself? I don’t know, I’m still figuring that out. I tend to get really excited and believe I can handle anything so I take on challenges and only once I’m starting do I realize how anxious I am. I am lucky in that even though this is a new role for me it isn’t a completely new setting. I will be in the same classroom I was in for service learning hours last semester with many of the same kids, the same lead teacher, and other apprentices I know.  Even with service learning last semester it wasn’t until the last day that I felt confident really speaking up and offering to do things or help with specific tasks. During our meetings with our classroom staff this past week I felt a bit insecure because the other two apprentices were in this classroom before and spent 3-5 days a week with these kids when I spent 2 hours a week with them. I felt completely unequipped to contribute much – though I keep reminding myself that will change as the semester goes on.

            My usual methods of quiet observation aren’t going to work now. Along with being an apprentice, I am also enrolled in a class that requires me to do 6 hours of intern work per week. I am lucky to be able to do those hours in the same classroom but this means I will be required to take on planning and responsibilities beyond just the apprentice job description – in our meetings last week my lead teacher remarked that the interns will be fully running the show at times and my stomach dropped a little bit. She also mentioned that in this field you often learn best by failing and considering what went wrong. So what it all comes down to is learning skills alone won’t get me through this, I’m going to have to constantly push outside my comfort zone and learn in a new way.

            But despite this there is no part of me considering not doing this. I do find comfort in the fact that when I want to get good at something I usually do and I received high marks on my service learning evaluation so perhaps I am being harder on myself than necessary. I also am very lucky to be in a program where I not only am getting paid to learn in the classroom but we have paid training modules as well. During training we were given apprentice portfolios to keep track of training and the staff at the center will meet us individually to go over these, help us get our permits, etc. I feel very lucky to be in an environment that is set up for learners, these people understand we are learning and just want to help us. Having an opportunity to get experience in such a setting is so valuable and I fully intend on taking advantage of it. Lastly but certainty not least, I enjoy this. I am not a morning person so if I’m willing to get up before sunrise 5 days a week for something that says a lot. Being honest with myself I know this is what I’ve wanted for a very long time but I let others discourage me from it. My grandmother was an early childhood teacher and I loved the time I spent in her classroom. I remember in 8th grade on the first day of sci/tech class we did job aptitude tests and I was not at all surprised when mine said I should be teaching. But somehow in high school I let people guide me away from it, people told me it wouldn’t pay well and I could be successful at anything I wanted. Remember all that praise I mentioned? That came with a lot of pressure to choose a “distinguished” career, which just left me confused. I have no doubt I am where I am supposed to be now.


            The title of this blog is Play, Grow, Learn. I will touch more on the topic of play very often, as well as the Reggio Emilia approach, which resonates with me, and I draw a lot of inspiration with – as does the center I work at now. I see that title as a description of not only what I hope for the children but for myself as well. I hope to play, grow, and learn right along with the children, hopefully becoming both a better teacher and person. And I hope at least a handful of people will read along so they can laugh along with me, cringe along with me, and learn with me as I start this new chapter of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment